HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Timothy James Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:29:22 -0600
Hello again!

This is another SHA 2000 update, concerning student-centered activities at
the annual meeting.

Please remind your students and employees that the SHA Student Subcommittee
invites them to the following events:

Thursday, 2-4 pm.
"Student Career Forum 2000:  Seasoned Advice on the Job Search Process"

The Student Career Forum is dedicated to providing valuable information
specifically relevant to student members of the SHA.  The 2000 forum will
focus on the job search process.  Seasoned representatives from academic,
cultural resource management, museum, and government career tracks will give
candid advice to those beginning their training or beginning the job search
process.  Topics will include writing an effective CV or resume, cover
letters, interviewing, and teaching portfolios.

If there are no scheduling conflicts, the participants include:
Margaret Kennedy, Jim Spirek, Vergil Noble, Nan Rothschild,
and one more TBA in the on-site registration materials!

This will be a great line-up, and we have worked hard to try and make it
balanced between underwater and terrestrial, American and Canadian,
Academy, Gov, and CRM!  Come along, and bring questions.

DIRECTLY AFTER THIS SESSION
Thursday, 3-5pm
Past Presidents' Student Reception!

This annual event has become very popular, and it is easy to understand why.
The SHA past presidents dedicate two full hours to hanging out with student
members.  The conversations are very rewarding, and students get
unprecedented
access to senior scholars.  Besides, there is usually food and a cash bar.

In addition, the Student Subcommittee will have a poster with a demographic
and geographic breakdown of the student membership of the society.  All the
members of the committee agreed that this would be a great way to begin
discussions on how to assist the student experience in the SHA (our main
goal).
Some of the facts will surprise you, I guarantee it! (Unless you happen to
be
Mike Rodeffer!)

Someone else arranges the reception, and I don't know what they have planed
specifically for this year, but I am certain it will be rewarding.

Cheers to all,
Tim
----------------------------------
Timothy Scarlett
Chair, Student Subcommittee,
Academic and Professional Training Committee,
Society for Historical Archaeology.

Ph.D. Candidate
University of Nevada, Reno
Department of Anthropology / 096
Reno, NV 89557-0096

743 Linden Ave.
Salt Lake City, UT 84102
[log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
"Oh!" said one, and after him every one else, "I could have easily jumped to
the top of the castle in that way myself."  "Yes," said Sir Foulk, "I know
you could, and that every one of you easily can, now after seeing me do so,
and the way I did it."
From step to step to the top of the castle of knowledge.
-- from the Welsh fable of Sir Foulk and the Knights of Glamorgan.