HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Richard H Kimmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 16:01:47 Z
OK Jake, see what happens when you ask a simple question on-line.  Did
you see the list when someone asked about privies?  Some of the best
free info I've gotten in years (the worst puns, though)!  So here I go
stepping off your topic into the abyss.

Lucy Wayne notes that HA's have been charged with being scholastically
in-bred (our work is supposedly buried in obscure journals, filled
with Jargon).  Lucy,  I think this is ludicrous, don't you?  What
specialized profession isn't represented by obscure journals and
jargon?  As an architectural under achiever who has struggled with the
vagaries of architectural typology, I find this criticism coming from
an architectural historian laughable.  As to how our work relates to
the public, I want to know why we all have to have public education as
our primary mission.  I don't have much time for it and I don't think
I am very good at it (I could certainly never compete with Babits and
Wilde-Ramsing).  I am very grateful to those in the SHA who have
worked so hard on our public forum and we need to support these people
so they can get more information out the door.  How many of you go to
the public sessions at the SHA meetings?  It's not the quantity of
exposure of the History Channel, but there sure were a bunch of
curious kids and adults poking around those artifact tables in
Atlanta, and I didn't hear one complaint about jargon.  As an aside to
this aside, I still think we should lobby the hotels for lobby space
so we can put some of the posters where everyone (that's the public)
can see them at any time, whether they want to or not (call it the
lobby lobby).

We may need to continue being creative and pushy, but the SHA
membership is doing a great job at public education (don't some of you
even work as  teachers and interpreters?)