HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Karolyn Smardz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 10:09:27 EDT
Dear Tim, Sigrid et al:

Well said!  Why is Mark taking such a negative tone?  Of course Debbie is not
putting her entire research design up in a posting requesting information.
I am certain Debbie has solid archaeological research reasons for doing this
project, and as it also has an educational component, good for her!

I will not repeat the research questions suggested by Sigrid, Tim and others,
except to second them.  Unless one doesn't see the point in doing historical
archaeology at all (there are people like that . . . ) the objectives of such
a project seem obvious.  But I would like to comment on the public archaeology
component.

Public education on the role archaeology can play in helping shed light on
question about our collective human past is also of great import to our
profession, and, while it can't be the sole reason to dig a site, is a very
important service to both the discipline and our publics.  The US Park Service
project on the Underground Railroad, as well as a lot of publications for both
children and adults, highlight a great deal of public interest in this
subject, so this should be an important contribution to helping the public see
how archaeology helps us learn more about specific aspects of our past.

I consider, to some extent and as long as solid research goals and methods are
paramount throughout, that public archaeology programs on sites of "hot"
public interest could be considered the "marketing branch" of our profession.
In fact, most of my career has been spent finding ways to increase and enhance
public knowledge of and appreciation for the work archaeologists do.

I would also like to point out, as an historical archaeologist who operated
public archaeology programs in Toronto for more than a decade, and who is
currently doing a doctorate in the history of race and slavery with respect to
Canada's role as a terminus for the UGR, that archaeology can inform history
on this important topic - it's not only the other way around.  For instance,
urban slavery is only beginning to be researched by historians (Richard Wade's
landmark book being an earlier example of this), while archaeology is moving
forward with research in this important area of slave life.

I for one will be following this project with great interest.  It think we can
learn much from taking an historical archaeology approach to learning about
the UGR.  Or ought we just to give up our trowels and trust what the documents
tell us?

Best,
Karolyn E. Smardz
Department of History