HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Dr Robert Victor Johannes Varman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 00:55:11 +1100
Larry McKee

Dear Larry,

Over the buried foundations of the 1792 Government House on Norfolk Island,
I had walls built slightly above mown grass level over the original's
actual outline. I used the same local stone as the original, and at the
same width as the original walls. The stone was bonded with a portland
cement instead of 'mud mortar' to indicate that it was not the original
structure. People really appreciated seeing the outline - made the presence
of the building real and it saved the original fabric from weathering. Also
included unobtrusive signage with an elevation view of the structure as
depicted in 1796.

There were some initial criticisms about creating a false ruin.......

Best Wishes,

Robert

    ______
   /  ___ \                        DR VARMAN'S WEBSITE
  |  / , \ |O    O       http://www.geocities.com/Paris/LeftBank/6559/
  | |  \d/ | \__/            Archaeology, Land Snails, Genealogy
  |__\_____/-(..)        Norfolk Island, Sydney, Best Links, Personal
    31 Wombat Street, Berkeleyvale, Central Coast, NSW, Australia, 2261
Phone +61 43 882169     Fax +61 43 898450     Email [log in to unmask]