HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Sven-Hinrich Siemers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 15:15:03 +0100
On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, M. Jay Stottman wrote:

> I am trying to find some information on an impressed mark on a stoneware bottl
> found in an 1860s to 1880s context.  The bottle is 25cm tall with a small loop
> handle near the lip.  The mark was impressed near the shoulder in the middle o
> the bottle with a lion wearing a crown surrounded by the letters "SELTERS".
> Below this mark were the impressed words "Herzogthum Nassau."  I have checked
> the usual ceramic maker's marks references and have been unable to find it.  H
as

> anyone seen this mark before?  Does anyone know about it and what may have bee
> the contents of the bottle?  I suspect that the bottle contained some type of
> liquor.
>
> Thanks
>

> M. Jay Stottman
> Kentucky Archaeological Survey

This mark is very common here in Germany, where it is from. We use Selters
for Mineralwater in general. So it was no liquor but simply water from
Selters at the Lahn river. It's a good water used in healing.
I don't know wheter there is literature on this, but it may help to check
the "Nassauische Annalen".
The former Herzogtum Nassau is now part of Hessen a german state.
I'll look if I find something and send it to Your address.

Sven-Hinrich Siemers
Institut fuer Vor- und Fruehgeschichte
Johannes Gutenberg-Universitaet Mainz

...and as ever excuse my English!