HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 21:35:25 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Anita Cohen-Williams <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Can anyone give me examples (or sources to check) of reconstructed
>buildings that were not built on their original site, or moved a few feet
>off of their original footprint? I am especially interested in buildings in
>state or national parks. Thanks!
>Anita Cohen-Williams
>Listowner of HISTARCH, SUB-ARCH, SPANBORD
>Co-listowner/Manager of ANTHRO-L
>Contributing Editor, Anthropology
>http://www.suite101.com

If you are interested in this phenomenon world-wide, try the Association
of European Open-Air Museums - its affiliated to ICOM, so try the ICOM
homepage.

ICMAH (The International Committee of Museums and Collections of
Archaeology and History) is compiling a survey of site museums, with a
definition which includes reconstructed buildings.  The US listing is
very sparse - the only site museums in the US listed so far are the
Buffalo National River, Cabrillo, Canyon du Chelly, Grand Canyon,
Klondike, Port Reyes, Southeast Archeology Centre, Wupatki.
The listings are much fuller for other countries, particularly
francophone.  Contact: Michel Colardelle, Directeur du muse'e national
des artes et traditiones populares, 6, rue du Mahatma Gandhi, 75116
PARIS, France, tel +33 1 44 17 60 00, fax +33 1 44 17 60 60

Best wishes,
--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Prattchet)