HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 21:03:12 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, steve cook
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Where would I begin to look for grants that would help with the cost of
>designing and publishing a booklet on a collection of approximately 5,000
>artifacts representing 10,000 years of prehistory.  These artifacts were
>donated to a state university with a small natural history museum (with very
>limited funds). The story behind the collector is almost as fascinating as
>the artifacts.
>
>Roberta Charpentier

You might be able to find money (or save it), by looking at the purpose
of the booklet. Here are two purposes which might be yours:

Is it to provide visitors to the collection with a souvenir?  In which
case, it is a business proposition.  If you need a loan to actually
print them, you can try commercial loans, and also loans with no
interest, or at a percentage below the bank rate, from supportive
institutions or businesses (they would be giving you dollars with the
idea that you would take each dollar, make it worth four or five
dollars, and use those dollars for the benefit of your collection/instit
ution/visitors/non-visitors).

Is it to provide a catalogue which scholars can use?  You might find a
website is better.  An ISP, supportive institution or business might
give you the space.  If your university, or a local college teaches
design, they might take it as an advanced student project (there are
very few searchable catalogues on the web).

Best wishes,
--
Pat Reynolds
at home