From:
Buck Rut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 12:00:56 -0700
Greetings Fellow Beekeepers,
     This is my first year of beekeeping, and I must say it has been a
wonderful experience. I currently have 4 hives in the St. Louis area.
I have run into a problem in the past 2 months, that none of my fellow
beekeepers around here can explain.
     In Early June, I split a hive and place a Starline  queen in the
new hive.  All went very well until late August.  The bees then began
to construct both superceedure and swarm cells.  Being so late in the
season, I figured the if I kept them cut out, they would lose the
urge.  Within three weeks, they quit producing superceedure cells, but
they are still continuing to produce 2-3 swarm cells a week along the
bottom of the frames.  Even being new, I am sure that the cells are
swarm cells due to their location on the lower edges of the frames.
     Any suggestions about what is going on, how much longer it will
continue, etc would be greatly appreciated.  Also, should I plan or
requeening this colony in the spring? Seems they dont like this queen,
yet she lays a wonderful brood pattern.
    Thanks for any help with this problem!

Scott Moser