From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 08:21:41 EDT
I purchased 200 Pierco Frames this season to give 'em a try.  Certainly
cannot argue with the assertions that they are easy!  They went from the
suppliers shelf to the beekeeper's hives on the same day.  Convenience
with a capital C and no con!  I have had a few instances where they were
not drawn out to my liking, but a quick scrape with the hive tool and
the bees get it right the next time.  And if they don't, you can keep on
runnin' that play until they do.

However I do have some criticism.  Now that he frames are drawn I find
that when I pull the Piercos that they will bend and twist as I rotate
them/flip them over to look at the other side.  Not enough to cause
damage or break the comb, but when they are torqued they don't have the
rigidity of a wooden frame.  Perhaps they will firm up after the bees
have raised a few generations of brood in them, but right now they are
rather flimsy.  And as I've stated before, I simply like the look and
feel of wood, which I guess will always be my preference if I have the
time to work ahead to assemble them.  If time allows I like wooden
frames with plastic, beeswax coated foundation.  But you really can't
beat the savings in time and material offered by Pierco frames and I
suspect they will become the industry standard.

Aaron Morris - thinking wood's days are numbered!