From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:56:16 -0400
Andy clipped this:

>Gaucho first went on sale in 1994. The producer says Gaucho is based on
>imidaclopride, a chemical which acts on the nervous systems of a wide
>variety of pests, including wireworm and aphids. Bayer SA defends the
>product as the most widely used sunflower insecticide in France and insists
>``the accusations have no scientific foundation.'' Bayer SA French
>marketing director Bruno Feldrops says imidaclopride has been used in more
>than 70 countries and was subjected to rigorous testing.

I have been trying to keep tabs on imidacloprid because it is rapidly
becoming one of the most commonly used pesticides on potatoes in Prince
Edward Island.  It is impossible to keep bees on PEI without having them
within flying distance of a potato field somewhere.  They almost never visit
the fields (they have no weeds usually and the bloom is completely
unattractive), except for water possibly when they are irrigating, but there
is the spray drift problem (we are a windy isle).

Anyway here is something clipped from a post to the bombus-l on imidacloprid
in late 1996:

From: [log in to unmask] (Karel Bolckmans)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:13:26 +-100

We executed both several lab and field trials with imidacloprid to check
its toxicity on bumblebees.  The trials confirm our observations in
countries where the use of imidacloprid on tomatoes is registered (e.g.
Spain) and also observations of illegal use of the product in countries
where it is not yet registered for greenhouse tomatoes (Belgium and the
Netherlands).  The use of imidacloprid as a drench is definitely not
compatible with the use of bumblebees.  We, together with other
commercial bumblebee producers (e.g. BCI, Israel), have strong
indications that imidacloprid is indeed transported in to the pollen.
Adult bumblebees don't seem to be killed but become unable to fly for a
while and stay in the hive without collecting pollen.  It is probably
the lack of food which affects the brood resulting in a rapid decline of
the colony.  The cotton wool in the hive becomes typically very dirty
and tunelled with many ventilation holes when the colony has been
exposed to imidacloprid.  <SNIP>

END OF CLIP

If any beekeepers have more information about the toxicity of imidacloprid
(ADMIRE is the most common brand here) please post to the list or to me
personally.  (French beekeepers must have something one would think!)

Have a nice day
Stan