From:
"Keeler, Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 08:47:50 -0500
Dr Schuberth wrote

>If you want to test whether a hive has its queen and there are no eggs or
>larvas, you can make a so called (in Germany)  "queen-test". Take a frame
>with eggs or young larvas in its combs out of a hive that's o.k. and put this
>frame into the hive you want to test. If there is no queen the bees of the
>hive will try to produce their own queen and make queen cells.

If you are doing the queen-test, how long you have to wait before
checking back on the hive?  Also, if they have NOT created any
queen-cells, should you leave this frame in the hive or return it to its
old hive?  Will the bees in the recieving hive accept and care for the
larvae or will they kill them since they aren't from their queen?

I'm trying this test on a hive that I suspect has a virgin queen.  I
have empty queen cells but no eggs yet.

Lisa