HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 1994 23:26:50 GMT
In message  <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
rinceton.edu writes:
> After years of excavating plantation sites I've found myself doing
> quite a bit of urban archaeology here in Richmond lately. One very
> common artifact type is flower pots...these seem relatively quite
> rare in the countryside, and I don't have too much trouble imagining
> why that might be. We find flower pots primarily from the third
> quarter of the 18th century on, and they become increasingly popular
> throughout the 19th c. My question is: has there been much research
> on these lowly, but potentially important artifacts? I've been
> searching through 19th century gardening tomes, etc., but I rarely
> find much mention of these things, particularly in urban contexts.
> While some of the pots are obviously locally made, we also find some
> that appear to be imported, but from where I know not. Any
> references, thoughts, or wisdoms on flower pots would be appreciated.
> Thanks
>
> Dan Mouer

Buckinghamshire had a thriving flower-pot industry in the 19th Century,
associated with the local brick-making industry.  We have several in our
collections.  I should be very surprised if any were to turn up in
Virginia!  I've done very little research on them - such prompting is useful!

--
Patricia Reynolds
Keeper of Social History