HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John A Eastman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 19:25:23 -0000
Steve-
I'm sure I speak for everyone on the list when I say that I hope you've
made sure those cannonballs are not still live, before you go trying any
"agressive conservation."  You might destroy more than "study
opportunity"....

Incidentally, there's a great photo of Norman Barka at Yorktown Battlefield
in the 1970s, casually leaning his hand on what later turned out to be one
of five 150-lb live  cannonballs ("Clues to America's Past" - Special
Publications Division, National Geographic Society, 1976:p.160).

Cheers,
-Jack Eastman