HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert L Schuyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 10:19:38 -0400
Julia:  I am mystified. We do not have a banquet speaker and have not
had one as a tradition in the history of SHA. Indeed, I think there is
even an understanding that we will not do so because of the many who do
not attend the banquet including those who can not afford it.

        The only event at the Annual Banquet is the Awards Ceremony and
it has never, I think taken over two hours. Usually must shorter period.

        Perhaps you are thinking of the Western History Association
Annual Meeting which always have a famous keynote speaker and also an
Awards Ceremony. Their ceremony is, in my opinion, too much in the
opposite direction. You hardly get to see the recipients and no
expalantion of their accomplishments is given. They almost throw the
awards off the stage. The reason, besides the fact they give too many
awards, is the need for the keynote speaker time slot.

                                        Bob Schuyler