HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 10:22:53 -0500
I am new to HistArch and have been following this discussion.  I am
curious if there is any distinction to be made between buildings which
were reconstructed relatively recently for interpretive reasons and
buildings which may have been reconstructed, relocated or moved  in the
early nineteenth century.  I am involved in two projects in the New York
City area where the historic documentation indicates structures may have
been moved.  I wonder, do such references mean that the function of a
building was duplicated when a new building was constructed and the old
demolished?  If not, and buildings were actually moved, do any of you
have any historic references which may shed light on how a wood frame
building could have physically been moved during that time period and
with what technology?

Linda Stone