HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Terry DelBene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 08:59:29 -0700
Hey Len.  I think we pretty much agree.  We're a "stuff" oriented discipline
trying to copy a "concept" oriented discipline.  To the degree that we
try and figure out if these flakes were made by an Iroquois we are definitely
in the realm of "science fiction."    We are overstepping the limitiations
of these data.

It doesn't make a difference what my father or the headhunter thought about
the sheet if we have no way of knowing these things.  The concept of "sheetness"
 clearly means different things to them but is this ethnicity or something
else?  At  the point where we are analyzing the "stuff" we have our own
concepts of sheets to work with and our own reasons for analysis.

Thanks for the comments.  I hope the group starts getting back onto the
track and I think your thoughts will go a long way towards that goal.

Walk in Beauty.   Terry