HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
TAD BRITT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 12:53:24 -0500
I am trying to compose some legislation that would eliminate or at
least restrict bottle collectors from pillaging sites in our town.  I
live in Vicksburg, MS, a town with a rich and famous history and
unfortunately known widely to the bottle collectors.  Specifically,
I'm interested to see what other municipalities have done to curtail
this type of activity.  There's no need in reinventing the wheel
here.  Also, I'd like to no successes or failures with this type of
local ordinances?

Vicksburg is a Certified Local Government and although the protection
of archeological resources is not specified, it is implied in the
"spirit " of the provisions.  Any ideas or leads would be
appreciated.  I have the support of the Vicksburg Historic
Preservation Foundation and they are willing to present the ordinace
to the City.

Thanks,
        Tad Britt
      Internet: [log in to unmask]