From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 1998 21:15:24 +0900
<snip>... there is a swarm in a low branch near my house.  I shook them into
super with 10 frames and foundation.  For the most part they took to it, but
darkness has fallen
>and there are still many bees on the box--both the top and sides.  My question
>is, "what do I do to get them into the hive so I can put the top cover on and
>move them out from where they are?"<snip>

When hiving swarms the beekeeper works with the bees instinctive behaviour
to seek a new home and then summon all other bees in the swarm to the chosen
location.  Usually this signalling is triggered by shaking the majority of
the swarm into a box.  In most cases the queen will be with the cluster
shaken in and the bees quickly begin fanning the queen scent from the
entrance so that returning scout bees also home in on the hive box.
However when swarm catching after the bees normal close down of activity for
the day, there is either no signalling or the loose bees will not take to
the air.  The behaviour pattern is for the bees to stay put until daylight
then reform their swarm.

Provided the queen did get shaken into the box the bees sitting outside will
rejoin her in the morning and commence orientation flights.  However there
will be no scent fanning and there will be a cluster of lost bees.

If it is possible to prune the branch the swarm settled on and lay it at the
hive entrance many bees will be attracted to this and will then walk into
the hive.

I do find when catching swarms which must be moved from the location
immediately there will be a forlorn cluster left for several days which
gradually fall by the wayside. I think a streak of ruthlessness is required
here.  You must put the hive box in its permanent position and consider the
lost bees as unavoidable casualties.

Betty McAdam

HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
J.H. & E. McAdam<[log in to unmask]
http://kigateway.eastend.com.au/hogbay/hogbay1.htm

Why not visit the South Australian Superb Websites Ring?
http://kw.mtx.net/sawebring/sawebring.html