Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 17:07:54 GMT+0200
Greets All

Horold mentioned the variations he notices in his bees over time as
far as regards their temperament.

I notice a similar effect with my bees sometimes when they become
aggressive for no reason.

On closer analysis I noted that increased aggression seems to be
linked to a certain degree to honeydew collecting from accacias.

We have a strong winter flow from A.longifolia caused by a gall wasp
that punches holes in the flower stems causing 'syrup' to runn down
the branches - this co incides with a good pollen flow. The bees
become at least ten times more angry - ie I have to work a hive with
taped bee suit as opposed to normal bare foot and t shirt with
shorts.

Secondly I have noticed when they work on A.karroo which flowers
around feb/march and also produced a honeydew flow (which makes a
stringy honey BTW) that they also become similarilky ratty.

So hence my geuss would be that funny sugars not normally in the bee
diet make them aggressive.

Anybody else have any similar experience?? Australia??? Texas-
mesquite etc??

Keep well

Garth

Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey
If parents taught kids about the birds and bees, guys would believe they were half the women they used to be!!
Standard Disclaimer applies to this post.