From:
Lars Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 13:01:28 +0100
Hi.
Sorry, but I have not had time to follow the thread about chinese honey all the way, so You may have heard this before. The Danish Beekeeping As. has just published an article about real but very poor chinese honey. I wonder if You all know about it? Cut VERY short, it states that pure or partly chinese honey is often known to hold a large amount of cells strongly suggesting, that the honey was harvested much too early and therefore fermented.(I wonder, if they stop the fermentation just by heat or by chemicals as well??) It also says, that this poor honey is often so poorly handled in old and rusty tanks, that You can find out where it came from, just by putting some honey in Your tea! The contents of iron will make the tea almost black!
According to the article, some amount of honey packed in Denmark was withdrawn from the Finnish market because of this. A cheap, easy and visible test, eh?
The article partly refers to a Swiss article, again referring to a French article...  The Internet is a good place for romours to spread - I guess that goes for truth, too!

Lars Hansen