Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
edward markus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 16:19:22 -0700
Here we have codling moth which pupates at the base of a tree over winter
and crawls back up in the Spring to begin another cycle of biting
unattractive hole in my apples.  .  Sounds a bit like the hive beetle in
this.  I know there is a commercial preparation called Tanglefoot.  This
extra gooey substance works to block insect migration when spread around and
upon  a tree trunk by the "orchardist" (It's OK, I call myself a beekeeper
what I'm not contemplating my latest foul-up) .  I bought it in an aerosol
can which gummed up well before it was empty.  The question... has anyone
come across a home- made version of this and if so, how does one make it and
live to tell the tale!  A corollary......    A fine seed company from
Oregon,  Territorial Seed puts out a catalogue for the Pacific Northwest and
its environs.  It is part wish book and part planter's bible.  A wealth of
information on many including organic pactices for the gardener.  The point
of this is that they include organic soil drenches for giving ground
dwelling cole crop chewing bugs a new way to aid the gardener as fertilizer
rather than annoying tenants on cabbage roots.  I've not used the product, I
prefer a bigger hammer when dealing with this .  But if one wants to break
the hive beetle cycle in the ground it may offer some small hammer
possibilites.    Edward Markus -  Heart's Home Farm