Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 13:48:00 -0500
Conrad Sigona states that even cured honey will not keep forever.  If it's in a
sealed jar, then it'll keep a good while, but absent a seal and a low moisture
environment, forever is a long time."

I think that was the point:  comb honey that is "sealed" in wax, is not fully
protected because the wax is not 100% impermeable to moisture.   Moisture can
gradually pass through the wax into the honey and then the honey will ferment.
It is my opinion that properly cured honey, when then placed into a sealed jar
will (relatively speaking) last forever as long as it is never exposed to the
air.  I have had honey stored in sealed containers that has lasted for years
and years and still been good.  It usually crystalizes, and in the crystalized
form it stores even better with little to no deterioriation.  It seems to me
that I read somewhere that honey was found in sealed containers in the
catacombs (like honeycombs?) of Egypt and it was still in good condition.  It
has to be sealed and is best kept in a low moisture environment.  The wax comb
isn't sufficient, nor is a zip loc plastic bag.  Both will let small amounts of
moisture through, and this gradually adds up until the fermentation process
begins.  Did I mention cool?  It's better if stored cool too--less deterioration.

Layne Westover
College Station, Texas

Quiz:  If the honey was found in the catacombs, does that mean it was comb
honey?