From:
Graham Read EOS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 21:47:00 PST
I've kept one of those electronic car thermometers you can buy with a
temperature sensor
on the end of a wire in one hive for the past year (hardly scientific I
know, but its interesting to take a peek at
the temperature in the hive every now & then).
During breeding (last year & now) the temperature remained remarkedly
constant at 34 - 35 degrees Celcius,
even while, as now, the air temperature is only 5 C. During the (mild)
winter the hive was usually at 8 - 15 C.Amazing.
Graham

> When time for the active season arrives, the observant beekeeper will
try to
> match the hive size and ventillation to the bees needs and the season.
She
> will be rewarded by healthier, more productive bees.

This is a very good explanation as to the control of the hive
environment.
It seems to me that bees do the best job in controlling the interior
climate
if the beekeeper is not to generous with ventilation, confinement and
space.

Often thought about  some sort of baffle arrangement to place on top of
hive
where a lot of air could be passed through by bees but appear as nearly
as
possible to a passive blockage. What would be the response if there were
spring loaded flap under a raised outer cover? Which way should it be
vented,
in or out? Perhaps the easiest solution is a larger entrance with a
couple or
more levels of staggered slats? Like the second thought better.

Alden Marshall
B-Line Apiaries
Hudson, NH 03051