From:
Midnitebee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:07:59 -0400
Greetings...
It is that time of year where fellow beekeepers will be "teaching" our young
adults about the wonderful world of honeybees..I call your attention to the
following article:
"Let's Buzz the Schools" booklet is a continuing effort to bring
agricultural education to the general public and in particular to elementary
school teachers and their school children. This booklet contains lesson
plans,
illustrations, vocabulary, and reference materials. It is designed for
children in Kindergarten through 5th grade
and will hopefully change some attitudes about a very important industry

Beekeeping lesson plans are developed for each appropriate grade level.
Level Teachers have a chose of what
lesson plans to teach and can use as many as they have time for.

They do not need to have a background in beekeeping because materials with
the necessary information is
provided along with answer sheets.

People have misconceptions about bees and this usually develops during
childhood. We want to inform the
general public through their children. We want to show that the honey bee is
a friend, not an enemy; honey bees
sting out defense; how they live and function in hives; how man uses the
honey bee; and how important they
are to mankind.

Honey bees play a crucial role in pollination, thus ensuring an abundance of
plant foods for man, domestic
animals, wildlife and enabling the persistence of plant species.

The bee industry is also besieged by more problem than we can puff a smoker
at. Americans would stop eating
foreign honey if they knew the terrible impact that this unfairly priced
imported honey was having on our
industry.

Home gardeners would be more aware of the care they should take in applying
insecticides if they knew the
value of bees to their gardens.

Education and promotion is the key. We need to work very hard to inform the
public as well as our legislative
officials about the importance of honey bees to mankind.

As beekeepers we should make every effort to get at least one copy in each
of our local school libraries. This
booklet is being offered at $12.95...postage and handling included.

If you would like to obtain a copy, please contact
Loretta Surprenant,
Box 300
Essex,New York 12936
or call (518) 963-7593.