From:
Frank Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:21:30 -0400
>  Any practical feedback would be appreciated.  Some of the old
> timers in my
> bee club say it cant be done without relocating the new hive, but
> I've read
> from many of you that side by side splits are relativly easy!
>
> Thanks
> Rod Billett
> Lexington, SC USA

I do side by side splits almost every year.  The new hive needs to have
young bees because they will more readily accept a new queen.  I take most
of the brood and attached nurse bees and put them in the new hive.  Make the
split early in the morning and wait until late afternoon to put in the
queen.  Use a small nail to make a hole in the candy.  After 4 days check to
see that she has been released.  What you now have is 1 colony with no field
bees but a lot of emerging brood which will build up quickly.  The other
colony has a laying queen some brood and young bees and a good field force.
Feed both heavily and they will be ready for the fall season.  A word of
caution.  Both colonies are weak initially and are subject to robbing.  I
usually install a robber screen to prevent this.  A robber screen is
shipping screen with a small hole at the bottom and to one side.  Hive odors
exit from the top and robbers are drawn to that area.  The hive bees quickly
learn where the opening is and use it.

Frank Humphrey