Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:14:06 GMT+0200
Hi All and Jan

As regards your question as to whether it is only house bees that
become laying workers I think I can answer that.

The laying worker trait exists for two reasons - one it allows a
colony that has lost it's queen to spread it's genes, and two it
allows the bees to 'accidentally' join other colonies and sneak a few
drone eggs through. Recent research has I believe shown that a large
percentage of the drones hatching in a hive are not actually the
offspring of the queen, but rather offspring of errant workers who
lay a few eggs on the side.

In the cape honey bee, a common survival strategy is believed to be
that the workers will drift from one hive to another and lay a few
eggs. This is fine in capensis country, but in any other races
territory it leads to laying worker colonies due to the cape bees
taking over.

So yes, for most bees a worker that is foraging can most probably
become a laying worker, or alternatively a new forager that gets lost
coming back may stand a higher chance.

I can also say that when I have lost the queen in a swarm a few times
it has become laying worker. All these bees could fly.

Keep well

Garth

Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey

After careful consideration, I have decided that if I am ever a V.I.P
the I. may not stand for important.
(rather influential, ignorant, idiotic, intelectual, illadvised etc)