From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 09:10:44 -0700
On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Andy Nachbaur wrote:

> At 01:32 PM 4/18/98 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >Perhaps "Practical BEE-L" could take the place of BOB; discuss pure
> >bee biology on BEE-L while the rest of us discuss down to earth
> >matters of beekeeping like the value of bees wax and Honey Market
> >News.
>
> Nothing wrong with these ideas except because of the time required to read
> and follow many lists and groups some would not and the knowledge base
> would suffer.
>
> I look at the B-List as the cover of a book with many chapters and authors.
> New books would require new authors and I fear with the limited numbers
> interested in beekeeping they would both suffer. Anyway someone opened a
> new beekeeping news group for hobby beekeeping and it was getting few posts
> the last time I checked and even then some of these posters were from the
> original Beekeeping News group.

 Hi Andy and All,

 The B-List is a very useful tool.Most reasearchers do not have time to
read all the posts or are turned off with all the clutter on the posts.
 Time changes many things.The list is no exception to the rule.We still
have a wealth of knowledge on this list to draw from.It will never fit the
needs of all members.Don't burn your house down , unless you have a place
to stay out of the weather.This is a very good resource for beekeepers.
 Lets look at what we have and not at all we don't have for everyone.I
have made some very good connections with the research community through
this list. Pure research would turn off many people.It gets very complex
and you need a good background in science to be able to follow it for very
long.We HAVE a wealth of knowledge from around the world to draw from.This
makes the list a great plus for all of us.
 We must understand that this list is full of opinions. If you present a
topic as being a fact, you better have everything you need to back it
up.This has been a problem for researchers on this list.We want to keep as
many as possible.This is the place to ask questions and get some answers.
If peer review is too hot and makes you uncomfortable, then you should
open up to the questions.If you can't, then your not going to learn
anything.We all have much to learn about honey Bees.This is a good place
to learn. I hope we can give each other room for different opinions.
 We can all grow together , with a focus on honey bees and the problems
that they face.We all see things a little differently and we can thak God
for that wonderful tool.Progress can not be made by linear thinking. It
takes many questions to be asked before real progress can be made. Lets
stay with what we have and make it better.
 Best Regards
 Roy