From:
John Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues (Was Bee Biology)
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:34:34 +0000
KEEP TAKING THE TABLETS!

============

From: Claire Waring <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: ANTI-INFLAMATORY DRUGS & BEE STINGS

In message <[log in to unmask]>, John
Goodman <[log in to unmask]> writes

>Claire,

>Do you have the reference/details of the article in question? Many thanks
>in anticipation.
>
>(Harry Riches FRCP has investigated this thoroughly and written articles in
>Bee Craft.  The editor, Claire Waring at  will probably be able to tell you
>more.  My memory say the message is "don't worry". Chris Slade)

Dear John

Thanks for your message. The latest item by Harry Riches on NSAIDs was
in February 1997, page 59. He refers to an article in June 1986 (page
184). His lecture in 1998 was published in Bee World, (1989), Vol 70, No
1, pp 12-18. 'Recent problems in th treatment of bee venom allergy' was
published by the Central Association of Beekeepers in 1990 and was
included in their composite publication 'Keeping Bees'. His article
'Keep taking the tablets' was published in Bee Craft, October 1990, pp
301-302.

=============

It now seems that the NSAIDs scare was a typical cyberspace hype, unless
you know better!

... the letter of Dave Black  (Bee Craft Nov 1996) perpetuates the
unsubstantiated contention that ibuprofen, a non-steroidal
anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), can alter the immune response to stings ...
internet ... 'rubbish in, rubbish out'. [Bee Craft (Feb 1997) H.R.C.
Riches, MD, FRCP]

Refs:

Bee Craft (Feb 1997) H.R.C. Riches, MD, FRCP
Bee Craft (Nov 1996) Dave Black
Bee Craft (Oct 1990) H.R.C. Riches, MD, FRCP
Sealle-Hayne '88 H.R.C. Riches, MD, FRCP
Bee Craft (Jun 1986) Post Bag

etc etc You'll need to read the references to get the full story - in the
mean time ... Happy Beekeeping!

JOHN GOODMAN

Regional Bee Inspector, NE England
CSL National Bee Unit, UK
# http://www.csl.gov.uk/navf.htm) #

Tel/Message:+44 (0)1833 690561
Fax(at York):+44 (0)1904 462240

International Coordinator for the "Apinet"
APINET BEE (Bee Educ & Ext) NEWS
# ( http://www.inter.nl.net/hcc/beenet/ ) #