HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 20:27:51 -0800
David Phillips is an old friend and former professor of mine.

>Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 18:28:55 From: David A. Phillips, Jr.
>[log in to unmask] We just got on line today
>http://www.unm.edu/~paquime/bibliography/nwmhome.html. In the early 1980s I
>decided to learn the archaeology of northwest Mexico and cast about for an
>existing synthesis that would serve as a logical starting point. I found
>various useful summaries but none was comprehensive. At that point my
>instincts as a contract archaeologist took over: I began a "Class I"
>survey, or cultural resources overview. In non-bureaucratic terms, I
>undertook to organize the existing information into a coherent whole, as
>the necessary basis for more involved studies. In my first attempt I found
>only 16 references, but that tiny bibliography soon became a pile of notes
>and then a formal manuscript. I continued to work on the overview until the
>early 1990s, when I set it aside. I am now (1998) putting the bibliography
>from the overview on the Internet. The bibliography is several years out of
>date so I ask archaeologists familiar with northwest Mexico to send me more
>recent references. I also welcome references I overlooked the first time
>around, as well as brief annotations and corrections. Any person
>contributing an annotation I use will be acknowledged in the annotation.
>Other contributors will be listed in the acknowledgments. If a reference is
>unpublished I ask that you send me a copy, which I will donate to a
>research library so it is always available in the future. I can be reached
>at: David A. Phillips, Jr., R.P.A., SWCA, Inc. Environmental Consultants,
>8100 Mountain Road, N.E., Suite 109, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87110 USA;
>Tel. (505) 254-1115 Fax (505) 254-1116; E-mail: [log in to unmask] or

Anita Cohen-Williams
Listowner of HISTARCH, SUB-ARCH, SPANBORD
Contributing Editor, Anthropology page, http://www.suite101.com
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/cohwill/index.html
Bumper Sticker of the month: "I'm not driving too fast, I'm flying too low!"