HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:28:23 -0500
One point that seems to have been overlooked in the discussion concerning
relic collecters and the Antiques Road Show is that the artifacts in question
may have been recovered from private land with the owner's permission, in
which case no laws were broken.  I saw both the program on the slave tags and
the earthenware bottle, and although I do not recall the exact details I do
not belive that either party claimed to have found these items on Federal
lands.  Many bottle collectors confine thier activities to private property
with the owner's permission.  Although archaeologist may not like the
results, no laws are being broken.  I think the real problem is that
archaeologist have failed in convincing anyone that they have exclusive
rights to the material culture of the past.