HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 22:31:04 -0400
Yes.  From my experience, any fire hot enough to alter the color of a fired
glaze on a refined earthenware might not deform the sherd, but it would
blacken the white parts of the sherd, giving it a truly unappealing smokey
cast.  This can also be produced (in appearance, at least; the chemical
processes are different) by burial in some soils, but most often it's
post-breakage burning, as in a house fire or burning of demolition debris.