HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:43:31 +0100
Surely form the use of examining urine rather than stools in thin green
glass urinals (flasks), a common find on 16th-early 17th century British
sites. These normally survive as thick vessel bottoms or the splayed
mouth. I am sure I have seen fragments in the US-  at Jamestown?

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Martin Perdue
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I believe that an earlier citation (provided by Mary Ellen??) also suggested an
>etymology of 'looking glass' for chamber pot from the practice of physicians
>examining stool samples.  The term does conjure up a humorous side to the image
>of the old family physician peering intently into the pot.  I seem to recall
>that
>this method of diagnostic exam dates back to antiquity, and perhaps earlier
>(i.e.
>those Greek physicians who were so much in favor in Imperial Rome).
>
>During grad school I worked as a night clerk in the emergency room of the local
>hospital.  One of our psychiatrists on call was Raymond Moody who wrote one of
>the early books on near-death experiences (titled _Life After Life_, 1977;
>Elisabeth Kubler-Ross was the other pioneer in this field; they helped
>popularize
>the 'out-of-body/sense of contentment/walking toward the light' etc., stories).
>Anyway, Raymond was/is an interesting person and perhaps a bit of an eccentric.
>On occasion he would hang out at the front desk with the clerks (us) and talk
>about various things (such as whether or not then President Reagan was 'legally
>insane'  --remember the missiles on trains, always a moving target? <g>).  Once
>he told me about an essay he wrote, which he dubbed his 'thesis on feces.'  For
>this paper he went about examing the stools of mental patients, to see if he
>could find distinct patterns between those of, say, schizophrenics and the
>depressed.  His theory, in essence, was that 'the sphincter doesn't lie' and
>would give a true insight into one's state of mental and emotional health.  If I
>recall correctly, he claimed that he did find some patterns; certain
>personalities tend toward constipation, while others..., well, the details
>remain
>thankfully fuzzy.
>
>Okay, so this had more to do with bedpans than chamber pots, but I thought you
>all would like to know that there are still people out there who take their shit
>seriously.
>
>:)
>Marty Perdue
>architectural history doctoral candidate living in Williamsburg

Paul Courtney
Leicester UK