HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:29:28 -0400
 I am trying to finish up a report on a civilian fort that was burned in
1813. At first glance a single event destruction, with fir marked goods,
would be great  but there are vaiables that make me doubt the validity of
many avenues of analysis.

1 Several families brought belongings to the site and were probably stored
together or at least close. Distribution does not show much.

2 A upper scale, for the area, family occupied the site and all of thier
belongings were lost. Occupation 1790 - 1813

3. The site was looted by the attackers

4. It is on a major immagration path from the east coast where some of the
"new settlers came from.

5 sources of supplies were limited to three locations, two primarily
controlled by the same company I know about George Millers Article

6. some items such as guns & edge tools were destroyed by the defenders as
they were overwhelmed to prevent use

Comments

BTW 1,The fire in places was hot enough to melt a cast iron kettle like a
candle
        2. Green shell edge turns red when effected by heat

Thanks,
 Jim Parker