HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert L Schuyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:09:07 -0500
Yes, and the West Indies were Native Americans discovered Europeans in 1492.
Actually the West Indies makes the point (i.e. its complexity). North
America did not exist, except as a geographical entity, until quite late
in the game. A Spanish site in California, for example, may well have
more to do with a contemporary Spanish site in Peru, the Philippines or
Spain that it does with an English farm site in New England, Ulster,
or England.

History Archaeology is a branch of general archaeology which studies the
emergence, transformation and nature of the Modern World (AD 1400 to the
present) and so, by definition, is global. Certainly we need to emphasize
both the "local" and the world-wide nature of our discipline to
pre-college students and the public.

                                        Bob Schuyler