HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:04:21 -0500
I tried to send the following off-list but it bounced back.  So since
others have reported non-U.S. coin finds to the list, I thought this might
be of general interest.

In 1993, I investigated the site of Daniel Boone's pioneer station in
Fayette County, Kentucky (outside Lexington and now within a state park).
Daniel settled here in 1779 but had to leave around 1783 when an elder
claim to the land robbed him of his title.  The site passed through the
hands of several absentee owners and finally was purchased in 1795 to
Robert Frank who probably was the one who built a "mansion" (nice large
house in Kentucky terms) there.  The family lived there until sometime
prior to 1809 when it sold again to John S. Cockrell.  Cockrell lived there
until 1809 when he died.  John Hendley got it next, may have run a tavern
there, but got caught up in a lawsuit over the property and traded it in
1815 to Charles Grimes for 362 barrels of "superfine flour".  Grimes was
from a prominent milling family in the area.  The land was transferred a
couple more times after that.

My crew and I dug systematic screened shovel probes in the area where
Frank's "mansion" had stood which was also probably where Daniel had built
his station.  My guess is that Frank used some of the station buildings (he
was a slaveowner) and may have even incorporated one into his house, but I
haven't the excavation data to back this up yet. Anyway, one of the items
we recovered was a drilled English large cent, very weathered and bearing
the image of King George II.  It was minted in either 1741 or 1747; the
coin was so worn that we couldn't read the last number even under
magnification and getting an opinion from a numismatist.  At the time, I
thought it might have been worn as a personal ornament out of affection for
George II, but since then, the research on drilled coins associated with
West African religious beliefs among slaves was reported and now I wonder
if it didn't belong to one of the slaves that lived on the site.  Pretty
neat find, anyway.