HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"K. Kris Hirst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:56:59 -0500
Ed Jelks wrote:

>THIS SHOULD BE DONE IN THE FIELD WHILE THE RUGS CAN BE OBSERVED DIRECTLY.

Okay, now I need to delurk. Our methods of identifying deeply buried sites
have improved, I think most people would agree. The problem is
investigating the deeply buried "rugs" within the context of a Phase II CRM
excavation. Sure, you can spot the stratigraphy from the top down even as
you go, even in alluvial settings; my problem is getting there fast enough,
within the strictures of time and budget. I want to know, how many people
here regularly use power equipment to get to these sites on Phase IIs.

In my heart of hearts, I'm beginning to believe that "strip off the
plowzone and look for features" might be a legitimate method in many Phase
II situations. I fully admit that I have been on sites where I know I've
missed the rugs. And when the rugs might consist of early cabin basins, I'm
not happy about it a bit.

kris
Kris Hirst
Office of the State Archaeologist
The University of Iowa
<http://archaeology.miningco.com>
this week: an interview with Page Putnam Miller