HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
LMCKEEHERM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 06:02:25 EDT

<< Were, or Why Were, whole animal bones deliberately laid on
 the ground surface under floorboards? >>

     I think the "deliberate" actors here would have to be other animals, not
the human occupants.  Maybe dogs, cats, or the South African version of
possums or raccoons crawling under the house and creating a secure spot to
chew away in peace?  We have this same situation, of large amounts of _large_
bones, under structures here at the Hermitage, a 19th C. cotton plantation in
Tennessee.  It holds true for a number of slave dwellings and at the service
wing (kitchen, storage, and pantry) of the Jackson family mansion.  No sign of
any deliberate glass or crockery paving, and the bones from rats and other
vermin species are plentiful as well, but I think the correlation is weak
(insert ironic inflection here).
     The immediate question asked by myself and other observers is how did
people live with the stench associated with such deposits.  A couple of
possible explanations - 1) there was not much left to get stinky, given that a
bone would have been stripped clean of a maximal amount of soft tissue during
its time in human hands and animal mouths  2) the bones went into the
crawlspaces in the "post-classic" period, when the structures were more or
less abandoned and when any systems for regular disposal and building
maintenance had come to an end.
      Anybody else want to add to this?
             Best,
              Larry McKee