HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Dr Robert Victor Johannes Varman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 16:01:22 +1000
Dear Folks,

Lester Ross wrote:
>Dr Varman:  Found your web site very interesting, especially the information on
>material culture.  I would like to suggest that when you identify and date
>artifacts (e.g., ceramics and their  patterns), it would be helpful if you
>would clearly document the information you provide. Identify the complete and
>partial marks and patterns names actually observed on the artifacts, then cite
>and reference any sources for other information.  For example, it is unclear
>how you identified the Meakin pattern at:
>    http://www.geocities.com/Paris/LeftBank/6559/scc146.html
>Was all of the information actually printed or impressed on the back of the
>specimen?  Also, it would be helpful if you provided more detailed information
>about the objects illustrated.  Is the Meakin specimen a plate, if so, what
>size?.  I do not intend these comments to be critical of your efforts, but when
>citing your work it would be helpful to have more specific information.  Many
>thanks for your efforts, and I look forward to using your site often.
>
>With the assistance of the U.S. National Park Service (NPS), it is hoped a
>similar web site can be expanded to document the material culture used by the
>Hudson's Bay Company, ca. 1829-1860 at Fort Vancouver (Vancouver, Washington).
>A review of previous historical archaeological work at this site has been
>posted to a web page at:
>    http://www.spiretech.com/~lester/fova/historical/historical.htm
>Next step will be to post data from some 1500+ pages of documentation on the
>the material culture assemblage from this site to a series of web pages devoted
>to specific classes of goods.  The NPS has funded numerous studies on this
>site, resulting in the recovery of millions of historical artifacts, and the
>creation of thousands of pages of reports.  Unfortunately, little of this
>information has been published.  LAR >I would like to suggest that when
>you identify and date
>artifacts (e.g., ceramics and their  patterns), it would be helpful if you
>would clearly document the information you provide. Identify the complete and
>partial marks and patterns names actually observed on the artifacts, then cite
>and reference any sources for other information.  For example, it is unclear
>how you identified the Meakin pattern at:
>    http://www.geocities.com/Paris/LeftBank/6559/scc146.html

Thanks Lester just the sort of useful response I like. I do have an excuse
for that one though - I put it up as a trial to see how clear the details
would come out (and to whet appetites or see what the demand is for such
material). I've nearly completed a section on Willow Pattern with the
information you desire (as you explained above).

The problem is how to keep the pages 'light' enough so that they don't take
ages to come through. In some cases like Willow Pattern, one really needs
to be able to compare examples and the only way to do this is by keeping
them on the same page. Partial views of plates where the pattern is
repeated is one solution. Any other solutions?

I look forward to seeing the site on the material culture from the Hudson's
Bay Company, ca. 1829-1860 at Fort Vancouver. Thanks again for your welcome
comments,

Robert

    ______
   /  ___ \                        DR VARMAN'S WEBSITE
  |  / , \ |O    O       http://www.geocities.com/Paris/LeftBank/6559/
  | |  \d/ | \__/            Archaeology, Land Snails, Genealogy
  |__\_____/-(..)        Norfolk Island, Sydney, Best Links, Personal
    31 Wombat Street, Berkeleyvale, Central Coast, NSW, Australia, 2261
Phone +61 43 882169     Fax +61 43 898450     Email [log in to unmask]