HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Praetzellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 1997 13:40:38 -0400
Juliet Christy wrote:
>I believe the research carried out at this site in L.A. can be found at
>the Sonoma University Web page... The University is working on the
artifacts found in the brothel.

OK, OK, I'll de-cloak.

Our study of Los Angeles's red light district was a combined effort of
Julia Costello (Foothill Resources), M and A Praetzellis (SSU), and Susan
Goldberg (Applied Earthworks), a couple of summers ago. Yes, we found
evidence that the ladies of the evening were heavy users of mind-altering
drugs in proprietary medicine form as well as a lot of other medicines. The
features have very solid historical associations and are well dated to the
late 19th and early 20th centuries.

The reports are still in the works but you can be sure that they will be
announced the current research section of the Historical Archaeology
Newsletter when they're done. Meanwhile, we have some nifty photos of the
project, including the mandatory "mystery object",  on our web site:
WWW.sonoma.edu\projects\asc. Drop me a note if you want any more
information.

L'SHANA TOVA to everyone in Histarch land,

Adrian Praetzellis
Sonoma State University
California, USA