HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Doreen Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 13:26:47 -0400
Does anyone have any good bibliographic references for drugs of choice, and the
method of use, for the referenced time period?

We are excavating a privy by a saloon/brothel (well, the brothel is a definite
possibility....) and have unearthed a large number of "long, homeopathic vials"
(something like that shown in Whitall-Tatum or Whitney Glass catalogs of 1902
and 1904) of very light, clear class (almost pyrex-like) that held something
less than 1/4 ounce and came out a drop at a time.

I was thinking of some liquified drug -- morphine?  I guess it could also be
some "essence", but am just not sure.

Any responses on or off BB will be consolidated into one answer that I will
post, if there are enough replies.  I have examined Chinese opium excavation
reports, and the paraphernalia is not similar.

Doreen Cooper, Project Archeologist
Klondike Gold Rush NHP
P. O. Box 517
Skagway, Alaska  99840