HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Trammel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 18:53:10 -0400
This is so obvious, I hate mention it but here it goes:   Several of you
were talking about how microcomputers couldn't stand up to the the
dirt,sweat and grime of the field.    I left Colonial Williamsburg about
1985 when they were just beginning with computers in the field.  Dominic
Powlesland  was sharing his experiences with the staff (perhaps you
remember him, he was the archaeologist in the Texas Instrument ads shown, I
believe, with computer, trowel and skull in hand! - a full page color ad in
major magazines no less!).  Anyway, he simply put a hand-held model in a
ziploc baggie and punched the keys through the plastic.  Seems too logical
to actually work, but I thought I'd bring it up.
Linda Derry