HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
KC HAMILTON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 12:11:02 +0000
On Mon, 30 Dec 1996, David Rotenstein wrote:

> No, it's not an insult or dirty word!
>
> I am looking for historical sources on wool pulling (fellmongering), especiall
y from the UK and Germany.  Also, any archaeological reports on fellmongering si
tes, especially those with evidence of sheepskin tanning (not just pickling).

> Thanks, in advance, the the help!
>
> David Rotenstein

> David S. Rotenstein, Ph.D.
> EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
> WWW: http://www.city-net.com/~davidsr/

Dear David,
        I can't give you an exact reference offhand, but I'm pretty sure
some of the stuff on the Yorkshire Dales by Arthur Raistrick has
information about it. Sorry I can't be more help, but it's a start.
                Happy New Year
                        Ken Hamilton