HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:47:30 -0400
From:
"Lauren J. Cook" <[log in to unmask]>
Pat Reynolds wrote:

>Many thanks for the on and off list re my desire to find a quote about
>confusion over the meaning of 'looking glass' in inventories of the
>C17th or thereabouts in the US.  While the consensus of opinion is that
>it's Deetz (_Small Things Forgotten_), I don't think I've read him, and
>no-one's said yes, it was Plimoth (or no, it was somewhere else).  It
>appears that Deetz has written the best account, just not the one I
>remember reading!

Yes, it was Plymouth, where Deetz was the director of archaeology at
Plimoth Plantation in the 1970s, and where he excavated and researched a
number of C17 sites.  As the quote I put up earlier makes clear, Deetz was
writing specifically about Plymouth Colony.  Others have written on the
subject, though.  Marley Brown wrote an article on ceramics in Plymouth
inventories, which appeared in a Winterthur volume on "Ceramics in
America," in the early 1970s ,and he may have mentioned it. (Come to think
of it, Deetz had an article in the same volume).

LJ Cook