HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lu Ann DeCunzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:28:39 -0500
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY: UNLOCKING THE PAST
The Book

        The Society for Historical Archaeology Public Education Committee
is developing education materials geared toward the general public.  The
Unlocking the Past project introduces people to why we do historical
archaeology and what it can teach us about North America's historic past
that is of special relevance to contemporary Americans.  It also
highlights the issue of stewardship of archaeological resources and how
and why all Americans can and must support the preservation of our
cultural heritage.  The program accomplishes this by presenting a diverse
variety of engaging and informative "case studies" of historical
archaeologists, research on archaeological sites, and "public archaeology"
undertaken by government agencies, museums, universities, and other
private organizations.
        We are considering some combination of three presentation venues:
the Society's Web site, a videotape, and a popular book.  We envision a
brief, attractive, well-illustrated book for a general adult audience--a
product appropriate for high school and introductory college archaeology
courses (in addition to, not in lieu of a textbook) and for sale at
National Park Service and other museum and historical society visitor
centers and bookstores (among other venues).  Our next step is to identify
appropriate potential publishers.  Please contact us if you have any
recommendations of publishers, and the contact person at the
publisher:

Lu Ann De Cunzo
Department of Anthropology
University of Delaware
Newark, DE  19716
(302)  831-1854; (302) 831-4002 FAX; [log in to unmask]

John Jameson
Southeast Archaeological Center
National Park Service
P.  O. Box 7
2035 East Paul Dirac Drive
Johnson Building, Suite 120
Tallahassee, FL  32310
(850) 580-3011 X243; (850) 580-2884 FAX; [log in to unmask]