HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"John P. Staeck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 08:50:11 -0500
I'm not sure that colonial era sites and the like would smell as bad as
Bill anticipates.  After helping excavate a couple of privy's from New
Brunswick, NJ, one partial one of this time and another notably later, we
found MUCH clam shell.  The shell would have acted as an absorbent and, in
theory, may have kept the stench down.  Still potent by our standards, I'm
not convinced the sites would have wreaked as indicated.

john

John P. Staeck          Heart, Faith, and Skill,
Anthropology Program      With these we shall
Luther College            meet the world and vanquish
Decorah, IA  52101        those who would unjustly
[log in to unmask]       oppose us.