HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 21:02:55 -0400
From:
Pamela Cressey <[log in to unmask]>
Jeff,

I don't know anything about pig iron, but it seems that leases
for industrial properties which stipulated partial payment in the product
of the lessee were not uncommon.  I know of one instance here in
Alexandria, Virginia in which a man renting a structure for the purpose of
brewing was required to deliver a quantity of beer annually in addition to
a cash payment.  This type of thing may have occured with any kind of
sought-after or valuable product.  I imagine it's possible it may have
been more common here in the coin starved colonies and early republic.

Tim Dennee