From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 09:53:59 EST
   Why do I have the nagging suspicion that the extreme El Nino is our doing?

   We've had a year's rainfall since Christmas. All the rivers are outside
their banks. Yesterday, we added 4-5 inches more, and it is still raining
lightly this morning.

   It's been warm, too. The spring peepers have been hollaring most every
night through January. Maple blossoms are open; dandelions too. Pear trees
around town broke into blossom earlier this week. I can't believe they could
survive to actual production, as we are bound to have freezes yet.

   The bees have been very active, yet have no real nectar supply available
yet, so I suspect they will require a lot of feeding this spring.  Every time
it freezes on open blooms, the supply is cut off for a few days.

   I see El Nino is hammering the left coast, too, and the northeast has
certainly had its turn, probably will again, as this massive storm moves on
up, so I shouldn't complain.

    There are folks who scoff at the idea of global warming and the extremes
that it supposedly brings.  I don't.

    You heard that NASA had to cancel their latest (top secret!) mission?
They had planned to send some astronauts to search for habitable planets to
colonize on nearby solar systems.

    Just before liftoff they had to abort their plans, for fear of the
publicity, if it leaked out that the animals were lining up, two by two, at
the Kennedy Space Center. ;<)

    Well, I've got to go wading in the mud. A bee yard I've had for 12 years
changed property owners. The new guy says he will have me arrested for
trespassing, If I don't move the bees within the week........(sigh)

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm