From:
David Gaida <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 22:37:33 -0400
Interestingly, just today attended a state beekeepers' meeting.  The
presenter was Dr. Shimanucki from the Beltsville Lab.  One of his topics
was actually the use of terramycin for control of AFB.  Apparently this
discussion will remain current no matter how many times it is repeated.
Changes and new information and all that junk.

Some of the facts that Doc shared and I hope I recorded correctly  (Any
mistakes will be mine alone in transcribing)  (And yes, I did ask him if I
could share his information)  I will share this info for those of you who
have not heard it before and apologize to those of you who have:

A SINGLE 'resistant' strain of AFB was found in 4 states in 1996/97:
Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and South Dakota.  The one persistent item in
each hive tested was the source for the nucleus hives that were used to
start the hives.  He said one additional 'resistant' AFB was found in 1998
in Connecticut.  After further investigation, the same common source for
nucleus colonies was identified.  (Which perhaps would lead you to believe
that the resistant strain is not an evolution of the original AFB spore,
but perhaps a different spore).

The lab has identified that any "idea" of resistant strains of AFB can be
linked to the use of "extender patties"  (vegetable shortening with the
Terramycin added).  They have shown that extender patties do not give a
consistent amount of treatment thereby allowing the AFB to go unchecked.
Not a resistance, but the lack of correct use of the treatment.

Further there are three common factors they see in the requests they
receive when beekeepers ask for identification of "resistant" strains the
beekeepers have found in their hives.  The common factors are:
1.  The beekeepers use extender patties, not dust (which is the recommended
way to treat)
2.  The beekeepers purchased nucleus colonies instead of package bees.
(the exchange of combs being the factor)
3.  The beekeepers were not religious in their inspection of the hives and
equipment perhaps resulting in the spore getting a strong hold before
treatment with the patties.

The lab also feels that the strain is perhaps not a 'resistant' strain, but
perhaps a new strain from someplace else.

I asked the Doctor what side he is on regarding the use of Terramycin.  I
was still unsure of our position.  The Doctor is on the side of "safe
rather than sorry".  There are currently two treatments being looked at for
future use.  One an antibiotic and one a 'natural' substance.  Both still
being formulated.

If we were in Sweden where there is no foulbrood, I am sure our decision
would be different.  It must be wonderful to know you can safely not treat.
 However, in the US, in this age, I cannot imagine the guilt I would feel
if we lost our colonies due to our decision to experiment (and I do believe
not treating is an experiment when there are known cases of AFB).  We do
not raise lab mice or bees for experimentation.  Can't afford it and I am a
sucker for a cute face.

Once a bee is developed that will need no antibiotics, I will be at the
front of the line of buyers.

And there are none of us who have time to waste.  Interesting that
education, and I believe Bee-L is educational for me, could be referred to
as a waste of time.  Thank goodness there are educators willing to share
their time and experience to help us make our decisions.  Whether they be
for or against.  Those of us still making our decisions need to see each
side.  Past and Present.   (Before retirement, I was a paralegal doing
research and writing for 24 years.  Sometimes the most convincing argument
for your side comes from the arguments against your side.)

I am still learning how to search the archives.  Have found great
information so far, but still learning and hoping there are others willing
to help me learn.  After all, conjecture resulted in the movable frame
hives.

Judy in Kentucky, USA