From:
Jerry'S Bees <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 15:20:49 -0500
On Wed, 4 Mar 1998 12:47:40 -0500 Marc Sevigny <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>I have a question about the life cycle of the wax moth.  I
>live in Massachusetts (below freezing winters (typically)).

>I understand that wax moth eggs cannot survive below freezing
>temperatures.  How do new moths emerge in the spring?  (I
>assume larvae can tolerate the cold?, if so, how does freezing
>the supoer help?).
        Eggs and Larvae are killed by freezing, but may be well insulated
by other larvae or by the webbing they have spun, especially if there is
a large mass of larvae (they generate heat).  Actually, the moths are not
a problem in the spring here in Pennsylvania.  The generally don't appear
in unprotected supers until late July or August, so your wrapped super
should be fine even if it were unwrapped.  Even after the warmer weather
arrives, the supers can be protected by leaving them where light and air
can get to the frames.

>What is the typical way to store full or empty supers with wax and or
honey?
>Marc
        Empty supers can be stacked in airtight units of about five
mediums with Paradichlorobenzeze crystals in each unit.  Full or partial
supers of honey are best left with the bees or kept in a freezer.

        "The ABC and XYZ of Beekeeping" has a good section on moths and
worms.

Jerry

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]