From:
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 12:55:44 -0500
At 07:28 AM 1/18/98 -0800, you wrote:
>At 11:56 AM 1/17/98 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>The on-line Weather station, bee data sets, etc. is:
>

>http://grizzly.umt.edu/biology/bees
>
>Hi Jerry & Friends,
>
>This is really a nice site as well it should be considering its contents
>and that the source of most all of it comes from a public think tank and a
>lot of skillful workers which is great and the way it should bee.

Much of the work was performed by students, learn-as-you-go.  Everyone in
my group has to be capable of using new technologies (but that is our
purpose).

 Your pages looks good to me but I got to make a few
>comments just so you don't think I am kiss'en up for a big favor or
something.

Andy, I'd expect nothing less.

>Now about your web page that Main or Index screen is really, REALLY great
>BUT really needs to be reduced in size so one can at least see it without
>having to scroll one way or another. With that kind of professional art
>work and the effort that must have gone into making that page the effect
>would be much better if you could see it in one shot using IE or Netscape 4.

Andy, you have your display set to low resolution.  On most of the newer PC
and Macs, the screen resolution is set a notch higher and the images fit
perfectly.  If  you want to see the detail of the JAVA graphs, you need to
set your screen up to the next higher resolution, if you can.  So in a
sense, the large page is a bit of a prompt to get you to setup your system
to make use of the graphs.

If I make the image fit low resolution screens, it is small and hard to
read on some browers, particularly for those on Web TV where the resolution
is really poor and fonts difficult to see.

Unfortunately, our sponsors want the on-line data capability.  We do all of
the web building (for public use) on our own time (except for the specific
programming that puts the data on-line)and the occassional bit of help from
beekeepers and an odd scholarship or two.  I built the new entry page using
one of Microsoft's new software programs, then found that it sized to fit
high resolution monitors.  I have a deadline to meet in early February and
decided to go with this version.  It was either that or delay it more.

>Then I know all you Dr's and the rest of the world has no trouble reading
>metric measurements and you all know your centigrade and Fahrenheit numbers
>which is great but to this OLd Drone mindless except when it's O c. or 32
>f. degrees, that I know. Picky, picky, yep, but then I assume since you
>express the rain fall in inches you might want to add a Fahrenheit table to
>the temperature scales and leave the rain fall in inches.

Andy, the weather station outputs its temperature in C.  We need to add a
subroutine for the conversion.  Our sponsors demand metric units (as does
all of the science world).  Again, we have to satisfy them first.  But yes,
when we get time.  However, except for the U.S., all of the rest of Bee-L
will probably appreciate degrees C.

>Anyway I will be checking back, not to see if you make any changes I
>suggested, but to see the progress of all the honey bee S&M gadgets and
>gismos you have connected to those poor girls. Are you sure its all legal?<G>

If you could interview the bees, I suspect they might complain.  On the
other hand, they have built-in fans to help them cool, robber guards, etc.
Pretty deluxe accomodations.  And they will be the celebrities of the bee
world.

Thanks   Jerry

P.S.  The system runs under Linux, so you could easily run this yourself.

>Keep up the good works,
>
>ttul,  Andy-
>
>... The roadside flowers, too wet for the bee,
>"and the bee keepers truck is in over its axles"
>

>(c)Permission is given to copy this document
>in any form, or to print for any use.
>
>(w)OPINIONS are not necessarily facts. USE  AT OWN RISK!

Jerry J. Bromenshenk, Ph.D.
Director, DOE/EPSCoR & Montana Organization for Research in Energy
The University of Montana-Missoula
Missoula, MT  59812-1002
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel:  406-243-5648